Global STEM Scholars Program- Cohort 1, 2020
Global Issue and Capstone Project:
- Students will have the opportunity to work in small groups to complete and present on a research activity based on a real-world, global challenge.
- Students will be assigned in small groups of 4-5 students, based on total numbers participating.
- Each group will spin one color wheel that has a mix of global STEM challenges, followed by a second wheel that identifies a tool for address the issue. For example, solve “global warming” using “drones”.
- Each small group would be responsible for conducting research and proposing a concept that utilizes the tool to address the global issue.
- A student facilitator or two will work with each group to assist with the research and design.
- Students will prepare a poster explaining their global challenge and tool, their concept and hypothesis.
- Students will present their posters at a capstone presentation on the final Friday.
Students will engage in four, interactive STEM lectures with hands-on activities spanning various STEM fields.
Session 1: Biology
Session 2: Computational & Data Sciences
Session 3: Physics and Environmental Sciences
Session 4: Applied Mathematics
Bridge to Mason Sessions:
Students will engage in three sessions to provide skills and tools required for successful undergraduate study in the United States.
- STEM Career Awareness
- Academic Success Skills
- International Admissions 101 (what students need to know to successfully matriculate at Mason)
Other Possible Content Sessions:
- Students will receive an in-depth tour of the Fenwick Library and an orientation to conducting scholarly research, followed by small-group time to research their project and design their concept and hypothesis. (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday – Fenwick Library)
- STEM Career Session: students will engage in a career session outlining opportunities for career development while at Mason, including internships and OPT.
- International Student Panel
Participants will engage in a daily recreational session on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, to include time at the Corner Pocket, hiking around Mason’s trail system, or other recreational activities planned for the group.
For additional Information, contact: email@example.comClick Here for Brochure